Thursday, July 26, 2012

Gluten Free and Dairy Free Hashbrown Pie

I've been gluten-free for almost 10 years now.  I've only been dairy-free for the past few months.  And seeing as how I lurve my cheese, it's been a little rocky. 


Obviously, I've had to make adjustments.  Most of the recipes I cook from use, uh, liberal amounts of cheese.  So now I have to figure out how to make yummy stuff that is both gluten- and dairy-free. 


As I'm sure you can guess, I often browse Pinterest.  But this time, I got creative on my own.  After all, I watch Food Network; I can do this, right? ;) 


Here's my gf/df hashbrown pie.  I'll tell ya-- it's not half bad.  In fact, it's pretty darn good.  At the risk of saying something I'll regret... I didn't even miss the cheese.  (Gasp!)




Hashbrown Pie
Ingredients:
3 cups frozen hashbrowns, thawed
2 Tbsp Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 whole eggs
2 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
1/2 bell pepper, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
2 tsp seasoning salt

Instructions:
  1. Lay paper towels down on a cookie sheet.  Spread hashbrowns out over them.  Place paper towels on top of hashbrowns and press, trying to get rid of as much water as you can.
  2. Melt buttery spread in microwave then mix with olive oil.
  3. Mix hashbrowns and "butter"/oil together in a bowl.  Press into pie tin.
  4. Bake crust for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees.  Crust should have crisped around the edges.  Turn the oven down to 350.
  5. After you pull the crust out, place your 2 eggs whites into a bowl and beat until foamy and they're semi-firm.
  6. In separate bowl, mix yolks and whole eggs, bell pepper, scallion and seasoning salt.
  7. After you're done beating the whites, fold in the other egg mixture and dump the whole thing on the crust.  Put back in the oven (which should now be at 350) and bake for 25 minutes, till golden brown on the top.
Yum!!
Full disclosure... I went back for seconds. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments more than I love buying new fabric, and that's saying something. :)